Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:29:39 -0400
Richard Geller posted this:
>>My understanding is that some sugars are efficiently converted into fats
(triglycerides) and shuttled into cells to be used or stored. Plus higher
levels of sugar in the blood will increase insulin levels. Without
corresponding protein to stimulateproduction of glucogon, this could
contribute to hyperinsulinemia over time.

My reply:
So eat fruit with a few pieces of jerky or some nuts, or with salad and a
piece of fish, fowl, or meat.  The glycemic index has been over-rated, I
think.  The glycemic index of a meal is more important than that of a single
food/component.  If you eat fruit alone, the quanity and type eaten, and
it's fiber content affects insulin levels.  And, if you have low liver
glycogen stores, it is possible that those bananas you're about to devour
will go there....

I eat usually eat fruit at two or three meals each day (along with protein
and salad or cooked leafy green or mixed veggies) and I sometimes have a
piece of fruit for a snack, and d I am by no means fat... I think the low
carb gurus have overblown the cautions against fat.  If you're not aiming
for a ketogenic diet, I see no reason to avoid it, unless you're doing a
candida cleanse; but even here, some candida diets allow use of sour apples,
grapefruit, and berries.

Richard said:
>>I would go very easy on the fruit. Remember paleo principles: our forbears
would not have had continual access to fruits all year round.

Reply:
How do we know this?  We are all speculation based on a few piles of
petrified dung and assorted bones.  Paleo history is not etched in stone...
How much access to fruit paleo people had depends where they lived.  If they
lived in tropical or subtropical areas (my favorite!), they could have eaten
an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetable year round, and run around naked,
just as some  people who live in such climates can today! (Yes, we civilized
people wear clothes there too, but not as much as in the north!)  It seems
as if many people on this  list assume we all lived in upper Alaska,
Greenland, or some other frigid place.  However, the fact that we have no
fur (unless we hunt for it), suggests that we are best suited to a
temperate, tropical,  or subtropical environment.

Back to work,

Rachel