From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:51:22 -0700
> <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >> <<> I have to question the wisdom of this.
> McDonald's and other
> below commercial
> >>

> >> Please provide documentation for this
> assertion...
> >

> > No...I'm sorry, I don't have this kind of spare
> time.  If you're
> interested,
> > you can research it.  A good place to begin is the
> USDA site and the
> > article and guidelines about grading meats.
>

> I have no need to look into the standards on meat
> grading.  I'm only
> asking that you substantiate your assertion about
> the quality of meat
> that is used by the major burger chains.  Somehow,
> I'm not surprised that
> you are not prepared to support your statement...

I think I can respond here. I've done contract
programming work for a local company that provides a
lot of the hamburger meat for McDonald's (at least in
the Western states). While I don't particularly care
for the way McDonald's prepares/serves it's meat, the
initial quality of the meat is not that bad. Yes, the
company does raise the beef in an assembly line
fashion, but when I've toured their plant, it has
always been well kept and clean. They are very
conscientious about how they butcher the beef, fat
content, etc.

I doubt very much if the quality is any worse than the
beef you can buy at your local supermarket.

P.S. - I just found a local store that sells ONLY free
range beef and buffalo (the buffalo is FANTASTIC), as
well as organic produce. Count me as one of the lucky
ones!