From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:29:24 -0500
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:22:58 -0700, R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
cited from Sear's Mastering the Zone:

> ...that supports that view.

Supports the superiority of EPA over ALA.
But of course stresses the necessity reduction of AA.

>."A central theme in the zone is the reduction of arachidonic acid levels
>by diet.

>EPA has a tenfold greater impact on reducing the production of bad
>eicosanoids than does ALA on a gram-for-gram basis.

I think it could be 10 times easier to get 10 times as much ALA than EPA.
EPA is in danger to be contaminated with ultratoxins (PCB).
Is EPA an evolutionary food?
Then humans have to be seen as brain eaters. Possible.

> Another reason I prefer
>fish oil over flaxseed oil is that the excess consumption of ALA in
>flaxseed
>oil tends to reduce the production of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), the
>building block of good eicosanoids.

And of bad eicosanoids of course.
Any reduced GLA production by competition of ALA will later on
reduce the AA production by competing for d5d.

Note that there are much more things that compete with the good EFAs
to produce our GLA and EPA.
Ordinare OA (from olive oil and cattle fat) compete here!
And are eaten in much bigger amounts.
Saturated fats compete here indirectely.
Furthermore, saturated fats listed under d6d decreasing (GLA decreasing)
items.

>What's excess?  Anything more than one
>tablespoon per day.

Should be plenty of ALA.

>Finally, the vast body of research data on the clinical benefits of EPA is
>overwhelming.  Therefore, supplementation with EPA as opposed to ALA will
>have a far greater impact in getting you into the Zone. But before you add
>any omega-3 fatty acid supplements to your diet, try to get those fatty
>acids from food itself.  The best source of EPA?  Salmon.  Of course, you
>could do what your grandmother did in her day to ensure adequate levels of
>EPA, and take cod liver oil."

I think that all is right.

Amadeus