Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:40:35 -0500
Keith Thomas wrote:

> What do you find objectionable about the fat you have been using?
>
> I know it's hard to describe taste, but please have a go. I think
> you and I are among the most regular pemmican makers and eaters
> here and we have to stick together!
>
> My son makes pemmican totally by hand (he lives off the grid
> without solar panels) and eats quite a bit of it. As he and his wife
> have a child he experiments with all sorts of flavour additives:
> dried fruit, salt, spices, honey and the nipper (she's 2) loves it all!

  While the meat is from grass finished "mature" oxen, There's not
enough fat on them, so the farmer asks for fat from the butcher who has
the abattoir. That fat is from animals that have been finished on
commercial fodder, which contains DPW (dried poultry waste) - I can tell
first by the smell when rendering. The butcher has been selecting back
fat recently, so there is little DPW taste, but still there's old saying
"you are what you eat", and we read that pollutants in the fodder are
concentrated in the fat of animals. There are small masses -from pea
size to large grape size - of a very soft purplish-brown stuff which
always go in the garbage. I usually wake with a headache behind the
right ear, which is cured by organic coffee.
  The one time I got grass finished suet from around the kidneys it made
delicious pemmican, and the smell while rendering was same as good roast
beef, but very difficult to mix at <104F.

  Lucky son! Off the grid is a dream to me. I tried salting the pemmican
at first, but could not stand the taste, and adding any carbs is not for me.

Regards,

William