From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:53:59 -0400
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Hans Kylberg wrote:

> At 21:36 1999-08-16 -0400, Todd wrote:
> >
> >If the scientists discussed in the article are correct
>
> The problem is that we don't know if they are. The way I read
> about this in my newspaper it seemed that their main interest was
> to suppress the importance of animal food to the human evolution.

That's right, we *don't* know if they are correct.  We'll need
more data to have much confidence in their theory, or any other
theory.  This is an area where all theories are severely
underdetermined by the available data, and we should always be
mindful of that.  There seems to be a trend in recent
paleoanthropology to assert that the traditional account of human
dependence on hunting has been overstated.  Jared Diamond makes
much of this in _The Third Chimpanzee_, citing the relevant
sources.  But trends are not truths, and there's still a lot that
we don't know.

Todd Moody