From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 22:23:12 -0500
>Greetings,
>I do not mean to be dismal but this is a battle you cannot win.  You are
>going to be fighting against a huge organization that has invested
>*millions* of dollars to keep itself running just as it is.   You will
>be dismissed as a crank and labeled a trouble-maker as will your
>children.  Trust me... I know...

I am very sorry to say this but I must agree with this. I think it would be
wonderful if you were able to convince them to make some improvements in
their menu, but a few improvements are possibly more than we can hope for.
Welcome to the Establishment.

Your endeavor is admirable and you are certainly in the right, but it is
very difficult to convince others that this (paleo) nutritional advice has
any merit even if you do have an MD after your name.

If I were you I would try to find consolation in the fact that you stated;
that this is the most nutritious meal that some of those kids get all day
long. And when you say that it makes me feel so much more thankful that we
have the brains, commitment and financial means to feed our kids well. The
high school that I went to let us have coffee in a.m. art class and home ec,
and had a soda machine in the cafeteria. We were practically forced to drink
our milk in kindergarten, if we refused we were reprimanded. On my first day
of kindergarten, I tried to refuse the milk at snacktime, explaining that
drinking it made me feel very ill. The teacher made me drink it anyway. I
later puked up my milk and crackers right onto the girl standing ahead of me
waiting for the bus to take us home. Regardless, I was never excused from
drinking milk at snacktime.

If you do have some success in convincing them to make a few changes for the
better with the kids' lunches, please do let us know. It will be a glad
surprise.

Stacie