From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:54:41 +0100
On Oct 22, 2004, at 3:35 am, Don Wiss wrote:
> Gerard Farrell wrote:
>
> >  As far as I know, Ashley, Iceberg lettuce contains virtually no
> nutrients
> >whatsoever.
>
> The vitamins and minerals are in the dark green color. So you want your
> greens to be dark. As Gerard points out, there is little in pale
> iceberg
> lettuce.
>
> Don.

I didn't mean to imply that the only veg I ever eat is iceberg lettuce!
I ate romaine lettuce for a long time but it is out of season now.  You
can still get little gems- but I thought they were related to icebergs
anyway.  I eat a lot of celery, brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms,
radishes (I eat the leaves- are you supposed to?), some carrots, and
parsnips on occasion.  Lightly cooked broccoli or cauliflower are my
favourites, roast parsnips are a treat and carrots are almost an
addiction if I'm not careful.  Oh and I eat the rhubarb that grows in
my mum's garden, but that's out of season too now (that is probably my
real favourite when I can get it).

Am I best saving my money and not bothering with the iceberg then?  I
can get two little gems for slightly less.

Ashley