Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:29:04 -0400
"C.B." posted this:
Ah, I was hoping nobody would say "France." There's a new study out that
suggests basically the French have the lowest obesity rates, vs. the U.S.,
U.K., Australia, and New Zealand.....I was thinking of all
the possible reasons the French might have lower body weights (gee, genetics
maybe?)

My reply:
The French typically consume their largest meal at lunch and nearly 60% of
their total daily calories before 2:00 pm.  In contrast, Americans generally
take in only 38% of their calories by 2:00 pm, snack after lunch, and eat
their largest meal at dinner time...often continuing to nosh until they go
to bed. Is it any wonder that  Americans have a higher rate of obesity and
heart disease than the French?

Food taken late in the evening is very efficiently stored as fat,
contributeing greatly to obesity. Research shows that itıs almost impossible
to lose weight if you eats a large meal at the end of the day, even if you
eat nothing the rest of the day!  When researches have fed people only one
meal of 2000 calories in the morning, theyıve lose weight, but if fed the
same number of calories at the end of the day, with no other meals, theyıve
gained weight.  The best results have been achieved by spreading food intake
over three or four meals a day, to provide better appetite control and blood
sugar balance.

I may have a little more on this in the paleo diet cookbook, which I'm
working to complete.

Rachel Matesz