From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:25:03 -0800
When I first tried liver I bought it from the local
store and after I cooked it I ate a few bites and then
threw the rest away.  I tasted so bad.  More recently
I have found local farmers that have selected cuts to
buy and periodically cook liver for myself and my
wife.  It is remarkable to me the difference in taste.
 Being that the liver "filters" just about everything
that an animal eats the taste difference makes me more
acutely aware of the importance of grass-fed me,
especially for organ meats.

I have really developed a preference for tongue and
heart.  Tongue is very tender.  Heart is a muscle not
an organ so if you are not too picky then I think that
you will like it.  I often eat heart or tongue for
lunch.  I cook them very simply just covering with
water and cooking at a low boil for 2 hours.  I cut it
up and eat with 4 - 5 ounces with a cup of broth.
Often times I put leftover greens or other well cooked
veggies in the broth.  The broth is supposed to be
rich in potassium so I always try to use it up.  When
cooking beef tongue after boiling for 2 hours you have
to pull off the white layer.

Mike

From:    Robert

we're buying half a buffalo (completely organic
and grass fed), and with that we get half the liver,
heart, and tongue.
None of those sound particularly appetizing, but I'm
told they were the
prized parts among the native American hunters, so I'm
going to have to
give them a try.