From:
Roxann Higuera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 22:56:07 -0400
Been there, done that.  Actually, I'm still quite the newcomer when it comes
to going Paleo, but I've kind of found my way to it intuitively because I have a
pretty good awareness of what makes me feel good and what just isn't right
for me.

I've noticed when I eat other than my interpretation of Paleo, I really don't
feel all that good physically.  I just kind of have a little conversation with
myself of thinking about how I feel and what it was I did that made me feel
this way and let it sink in.  It's a matter of natural consequences.  I don't
beat myself up for it, but I do like to reinforce the moment in my mind because
I like to feel good and following certain rules will help me do so.  I find that the
no-no foods and drinks hold less and less appeal over time when I do this.

My experience with cake is more kinesthetic and less intellectual than Joan's, I
would say.  When I look at a cake, I think about how unappealing the
shortening used in the frosting is.  While I could probably go for a genuine
butter cream, the fake stuff just doesn't do it for me in any amount.  I think
about the last time I got a sugar high and how uncomfortable that was, and
that would put me off any remaining desire to dive into the butter cream or
the cake itself.  I also think about how tired I feel after eating grains.  For me,
it's about feeling good.

Even with all this, I'm not perfect.  My latest foray into off plan eating was
just this weekend.  I somehow got the idea in my head that I could get away
with indulging in my leftover stash of *gasp* NutriSystem food after having
gone Atkins and then Paleo.  (Like I said, I really am new at this!)  I can't eat
that stuff without consequences, though.  It gave me gas, and I was quite
uncomfortable.  The culprit was probably soy.  The sugar fluctuations weren't
all that great, either.  And then there was that sudden weight gain from
having gone carby.  I really must find someone to take this stuff off my
hands.  Maybe I can auction it off on ebay...

Roxann Higuera