Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:04:09 -0600
> Regular suckling is what starts the ability to
> produce milk, also in females that have not recently given birth.
> I have got the impression that the very milk mixture is mostly produced
> at the very suckling time, but there is a build up between suckling
> occasions.
> - Hans

Actually, suckling decreases milk production, but it plays a vital role in
the release of stored milk.  In a lactating animal, milk production is an
ongoing process. Alveoli remove nutrients from the blood, and transform them
to milk which is then stored in ducts.  As the ducts fill with milk, they
put pressure on the alveoli which signals the alveoli to decrease the rate
of milk production until the milk is removed.  Suckling increases the blood
level of oxytocin, a hormone that causes muscle contractions, and allows
milk to flow from the ducts to the gland cistern where it can be withdrawn
through the teats.

Since blood oxytocin levels do not decrease instantly when suckling ceases,
some milk may remain in the gland cistern.  If a lactating animal were
killed and "milked" immediately, it may be possible to collect the milk
present in the gland cistern.  It is doubtful that the milk could be
collected through any cutting procedure due to the high volume of blood
present in the milk production process.

Marylee