From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:12 -0800
On Dec 1, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Philip wrote:

> Just curious if there are any NeanderThin-type dieters still active
> on this
> forum.

> The food categories that Ray saw as meeting his criterion include the
> following:
>
> Meats and fish (and organs and seafood)
> Fruits (for some reason he listed berries separately)
> Vegetables
> Nuts and seeds
> Herbs/teas and spices (he didn't list this category, but does
> include these
> foods in his recipes)
>
> Also, for beverages he included water, mineral water, teas,
> vegetable juice,
> small amounts of fruit juice and nut milk. He uses honey as a
> sweetener and
> modest amounts of salt as a seasoning.

I'm with him on some things, and more - or less - restrictive on
others. I eat meat, including organs, mostly raw or very rare, fish,
and eggs. I eat certain veggies, eschewing legumes, corn, and
Solanaceae. I eat all fruits. I eat some nuts (no peanuts or
cashews), pine nuts, plus sesame and occasionally pumpkin seeds, all
whole, no nut butters. I crave and eat high fat - meat fat, raw
butter, olive oil, and fish oil. I eat no grains whatsoever, no
concentrated sweeteners of any kind, no concentrated juices of fruits
or vegetables, no coffee, no nut milk. I will occasionally have an
ounce or two of red wine. I do not employ any devices or recipes to
make one food resemble another; i.e. no baking with nut flours, no
gravies thickened with arrowroot, no artificial sweeteners or stevia.
I do use herbs, spices and garlic, salt, and pepper. I do use
fermented dairy, whole cream, butter and some cheese, but no liquid
milk. I did not indulge in dairy for about four years, and felt no
symptoms adding in raw dairy to the extent I use it.

What's more, I love my diet, never get bored, and have gotten
excellent health results from it, mainly weight control and evenness
of mood, energy, and blood sugar.

I'd count myself as a Paleo dieter, inasmuch as I believe in a
prototypical diet for all species including humans. I don't fool
myself that our modern products of agriculture are anywhere near the
same as in wilder times, and to the extent that we have proved
adaptable to modern versions of Paleo foods, I utilize that
adaptability for the raw dairy, believing that Paleo man would have
used it healthily had he the resource, in sort of a reverse
adaptation. Who's to say what parts of which animals are really the
optimum? If a modern cow stands still for milking, does that make the
entire animal less of a resource? Could we have possibly always been
adapted to digest dairy?

Anyway, I'm pretty strict, and eat a lot of raw, and that is more
important to me in harking back to my roots. I cook only enough to
make things chewable. I've been doing this for about six years now.
I'd say I am just as close to Paleo as Ray, and a heck of a lot
closer than Cordain.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!