From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:01:47 -0600
Jens Wilkinson wrote:

>I've sort of been intrigued by this. I remember
>reading in the book by Loren Cordain, and also in
>Neanderthin, that you don't have to cut calories under
>a paleo diet because the protein and fat will satiate
>you and it isn't possible to eat too much. This is
>sort of a good theory, in a way, but it seems to me
>it's still possible to overeat, meaning that people
>will eat for psychological reasons, i.e. the pleasure
>of eating itself.

Yes indeed.  If your goal is to lose weight, you must restrict your eating
somewhat, especially of fruits which  are Paleo according to Neanderthin
(though our modern supersweet fruits weren't a part of Paleo diets).
You don't need to count grams or calories, but you do need to use
restraint.

>In fact, I think it was a paper by Eaton I read
>somewhere that said that one of the big problems with
>modern society is that our diet has become "uncoupled"
>from the effort it requires to gather it. Basically we
>can eat as many calories as we can without having to
>put any effort into getting it. So I would think that
>for somebody like me who is basically sedentary -- I
>work in front of a computer screen all day long --
>it's better to restrict calories somewhat. Obviously
>this would be different for somebody doing work
>outdoors that uses real energy.

Very well put.

    Lynnet