From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:32:26 -0500
rick and/or linda strong wrote:

>-anorexia??
>

>>Haven't we learned here that ketosis and the associated
>>diuretic effects can lead to K depletion?
>>

>what is the mechanism at work here?

When you reduce carbs, the reduction in insulin levels causes tissues to
retain less water, hence diuresis.  It happens on all diets to some
extent, but more so on a ketogenic diet.  Insulin regulates water
retention.  This is why carb reduction often corrects high blood
pressure too.  But when you lose all that water you also lose
electrolytes, because they are dissolved in water.  It's the same reason
why you lose electrolytes when you have diarrhea: sudden loss of large
quantities of water.  And it's dangerous for the same reason.  People
sometimes have cardiac arrhythmias or cardiac arrest from diarrhea too.

>>Certainly, prolonged ketosis with little dietary intake of >potassium could
>>

>be problematic.
>since meat has abundant potassium, how is this possible?

It's not *prolonged* ketosis that is the problem, or it shouldn't be.
 It's sudden ketosis.  Because meat has plenty of potassium, when the
diuresis ceases, i.e., when the body achieves fluid balance, electrolyte
levels should return to normal and stay there.  It's only when you are
putting out more water than you are taking in that electrolyte depletion
is a concern.  I think, for most people, diuresis should be over after a
week or two of ketosis.  But that week or two could be dangerous,
especially for a person whose heart is already weakened.

Todd Moody