From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:25:06 -0400
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Denise LePage wrote:

> >Those interested in seeing some vindication of Amadeus' way of thinking might like to read:
> http://www.chetday.com/reainterview.htm<
>
> This is the same group that wrote a rebuttal to Loren Cordain's interview at the same site.  They say that men
did all the paleo research, so their egos got in the way.  I found it
humorous and completely devoid of references
for their theories.
> http://www.chetday.com/reaoncordain.htm
>
> I also found it suspect that they claim dietary ketosis causes death.  Hrm.  The word crackpot comes to mind.

Denise, I had the same reaction to the comments about ketosis,
but unfortunately I have come to expect misinformation about
ketosis from people who are otherwise sane (such as Barry Sears).

As for the claim that sexism in some form has distorted the
interpretation of the paleo record, I wouldn't be so quick to
dismiss it.  In particular, there is a growing body of evidence
to suggest that in most environments meat was an important food
but did not dominate the diet in the way that is sometimes
supposed.  The U. of Indianapolis site that I also posted has
some material on this, with references.  Jared Diamond's _The
Third Chimpanzee_ also supports that theory that paleo hunting is
overrated, and provides references.

Amadeus's theory is worth thinking about: Perhaps what killed off
the Neanderthal was running out of fatty meat sources and
difficulty dealing with plant energy sources.

The debate is by no means over, of course.

Todd Moody