From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:48:05 -0800
to complete my last post ,you asked

>Do you think the new cell receives and then
>incorporates the DNA into itself? (I'm not familiar
>with this theory).

you are not familiar with the theory ,may be because no scientists took the
time to propose one but the genetic engineers didn't lost time wondering
because they seems  too busy putting the concept in practice.
the following are extracted from the article that i am posting next.

<...Vectors and promoters are bits of disease-causing viruses and bacteria
that
are used to ferry the transgene into the host plant and force it to switch
on (express). They are designed to overcome the natural species barriers
that, in traditional breeding, prevent a cross-species transfer, for
example, between a monkey and a soybean plant, or between a fish a
strawberry plant....

...Viral DNA fed to mice reaches white blood cells, spleen and liver cells
via
the intestinal wall, and is incorporated into the mouse cell genome29. When
fed to pregnant mice, viral DNA ends up in cells of the fetuses and the
newborn animals, suggesting that it has gone through the placenta as
well30. The study's authors say: "The consequences of foreign DNA uptake
for mutagenesis birth defects and oncogenesis cancer have not yet been
investigated31."...

...One wonders if they have heard
of a concept called horizontal gene transfer, which covers the many ways
that genetic material can be exchanged between species other than by
cross-pollination. This can involve infection of different species by
bacteria and viruses, insects or birds feeding on the GE material or
inhalation of GE pollen or dust by humans -- or simply by direct
incorporation of "free" DNA.>

The viral vectors used in GE are designed to enable genes to cross species
barriers. ...

jean-claude