From:
Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:30:27 -0700
Bingo,  this is the question I was really trying to ask.....thanks, Alec.

I once dealt with an endocrinologist for some Thyroid issues I was having when I
was a neolithic eater.  She suggested that in the absence of some carbohydrate
daily, the thyroid could not produce adequate thyroxin.  She really was not a
great fan of the zero carb/low carb diet.  She had no problems with the carbs
coming from paleo sources, but they needed to be included in some form daily,
according to her view of healthy thyroid output.  I tried just meat and fat one
winter. By the third month, all I wanted to do was sit at the computer.  I lost
all drive to move, or do any real physical activity.  Once I started
incorporating more veggies, and denser carby foods like cooked carrots, winter
squashes, yams and more cooked seasonal fruits (apples, pears, some dried fruits
in dead winter), I felt like I could move.  I also noticed I had much more
muscle tone, probably a result of adequate stores of glycogen.  I eat tons of
fatty meats, nut butters, avocado, etc.  But I still need denser vegetable carbs
to feel "normal".  I think the zero carb is much easier to do in a warmer
climate, because lighter cooking doesn't heat the body.  But in the cold, if you
don't up the paleo  carbs, I think a person will wind up craving and possibly
succumbing to grains to stoke up internal heat.

Best,
Batsheva

From: Alec Wood <[log in to unmask]>

Re: starch and sugar. The enzyme Amylase is present in human saliva which begins
the digestion and breakdown of starch and carbohydrates in the mouth.  The
question is are we intended to eat starch only as an emergency method of
survival or eat carbohydrates everyday?