From:
Betty Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:13:49 -0600
I remember seeing a show discussing studies involving identical
twins...one
with Alzheimer's and one without. The research with identical twins is
still
ongoing and I don't know if any conclusions have been drawn, yet. I
have
heard that keeping the mind active also helps delay Alzheimer's in
those
prone to the disease.

Alzheimer's is a very real concern for my DH. He is the youngest of 8
children. Two of his sisters have died from complications of
Alzheimer's and
his brother is currently in a nursing home with the disease. His
parents had
their first child in 1911...DH was born near the end of 1938. They
always
considered the older 5 as one set of children (1911-1922) and the
remaining
3 as the second set (1930-1938). One of the sisters (b.1922) developed
early
onset Alzheimer's and died at the age of 54. The other sister who had
Alzheimer's died at age 82. His brother is currently 82. I cannot
convince
DH to go paleo, but he is paying more attention to what he's eating so
there
is hope. The doctor has encouraged him to supplement with Vitamin E,
Folic
Acid, etc., since the doctor doesn't feel this would do any harm. Of
the 4
"children" living, the eldest sister (almost 90) is in fair physical
health
and excellent mental health, the 82 year old has Alzheimer's, the 70
year
old (female) is in good health (as much as can be expected on SAD and
high
BP), and my DH, who's almost 62, is like his 70 year old sister but he
also
copes with paraplegia due to spinal cord trauma. Maybe someday I can
get DH
to go paleo...sure hope so.

Just my 2¢ on the subject.

Betty Ann
mailto:[log in to unmask]

"In a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats." English Proverb