From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:36:02 -0500
Amadeus,

Would you be willing and able to answer for me what are some of the
vegetables/plants of your neighbor Baden-Wuerttemberg that early humans may
have included in their diets?

I have ancestors who emigrated to America from various B-W villages between
1724-48.  Some of these same ancestors had earlier upon invitation
immigrated to the Kraichgau from a village near Zurich (where they had been
in residence since at least the middle 1500's) following the end of the
Thirty Years' War in 1648.

I've tried to research this on my own and haven't found the answers yet.  In
the last two years of tinkering with my diet and finding that I apparently
have wheat intolerance, I also found that rye didn't seem to give me the
same kind of problems.  I guess in theory they should, but they don't.
About a year ago I asked a genealogist friend of mine in Colmar who is an
entomologist for INRA (the French equivalent of the USDA) if he knew whether
wheat or rye was the predominant grain eaten between 1600-1700.  I didn't
tell him why I wanted to know.  He asked around among his colleagues and the
informal consensus was that it was rye.  This made me wonder whether my
ancestors may have been more adapted to rye than to wheat.  But since
discovering paleo, I've read that agriculture didn't really begin in
Southern Germany until--two different figures here!--either 3,000-5,500
years ago or 3,500-5000 y/a.  I don't know what the *real* time period is.

I sure would appreciate your help if you happen to know and would kindly
offer a brief list of what  foods your B-W neighbors may have eaten--even if
there might have been a Roman gene or two lurking in the Alemannisch
woodpile.

Theola