From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:09:57 EST
In a message dated 2/20/2008 1:19:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I have to admit to being clueless about breast cancer. My family cancer of
>preference is kidney cancer. I have always associated estrogen with breast
>cancer and had no idea that NL has such a high incidence of breast cancer.
>Do you think this is correlated to their high dairy consumption?

I don't know, but the countries that have the highest dairy consumption also
have the highest rates of breast cancer: United States, the Netherlands,
Denmark...

I wonder if increase in breast cancer rates correlates with the massive
screening done in certain countries, especially the US.  Do other countries have
lower rates or are the cancers undetected or do they not include the pre-cancers
that are often counted as cancers in the US?? I personally think the
plastics, chemicals, hormones and GMO foods we've introduced into our food chain are
far more dangerous than organic, properly raised dairy.

> I know their burgeoning increase in height has been associated with the
> growth hormones in dairy

I have aunts who are over 6 feet tall; my son is 6'6" tall; we all grew up
with dairy, a main component of our diet.
I grew up in Nebraska guzzling Gurnsey milk and stuffing myself with butter
and cheese -- still didn't grow beyond 5'2.5"..lots of dairy eating shorties in
my family though...

> I'm not sure about clean unprocessed dairy not being paleo and I know this
> has been discussed here many times but you have a point about the growth
> hormones.

I looked in my files and am unable to find the reference, but I have read
several breast cancer studies that originated in the Netherlands, and they
seem to point to the fact that anincrease in breast cancer occurred after
pasteurization began.  That does not, of course, imply cause and effect.

Kath
I think pasteurization, hormones, pesticides and grain feeding transforms
dairy, a potentially healthy food for some (not the non-lactose intolerant or
those with autoimmune issues etc), into a junk food.

It seems logical that cow's milk is for baby cows.  But why is it then that
only bovine IGF-1 is identical in structure to human IGF-1?   I would think
this would make cow's milk more tolerable to humans -- yet many who have problems
digesting cow's milk dairy products do fine with products from goat , sheep,
donkey, camel milk.  Weird.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)