Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:40:23 -0300
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:46:25 -0300, Dr. Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi William,
> People have been eating grains for thousands of years too. They were
> considered the foundation upon which modern civilization was built.

Agree completely. No civilization without cereals

  We
> had
> no idea that they were causing illness until very recently (65 years or
> so)
> and many physicians, dietitians, and other health care professionals etc.
> still don't seem to believe it. Diets dominated by whole grain foods are
> still prescribed for the entire western world, and in the context of many
> ailments that cry out for research into whether grain is a causal or
> contributing factor.
>
> Similarly, for many years patients with thrombosis were given blood
> thinners. It just made sense - if you have blood clots blocking blood
> flow,
> thinning the blood should be the correct treatment. A decade or so ago,
> some
> upstart medical researcher decided to subject that notion to
> investigation.
> He or she found that blood thinners released the clots from the vessel
> wall
> so they could circulate to the brain and cause deadly strokes.

I am a member of a forum for those who suffer from atrial fibrillation;
many of these people are taking blood thinners, so if you can find a url
for this medical researcher's report it would be greatly appreciated.

> I see nothing wrong with questioning assumptions of long standing. While
> believe pork to be a safe food for human consumption, I would welcome
> research that subjected that notion to rigorous investigation.
>
> Questioning long-standing assumptions is not evidence of gullibility, as
> you
> suggest. Conversely, it may be evidence of an open and enquiring mind.

Me too, however I remember someone doing a study on (probably cooked) pork
using dark field microscopy (?).
After seeing the changes in their blood, all volunteers stopped eating
pork. I guess that if they had used any cooked protein they would have
seen the same sort of change.
AFAIK they didn't compare with raw, so the finding was deceptive. My
reference is to Koutchakoff's comparison showing that eating cooked meat
causes increased white blood cells, while raw, partly raw, or cooked at
less than a specified temperature meat shows no such change.