From:
Lisa Wiedeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:51:22 -0500
I am usually a lurker here; I am still learning so much about paleofood so I
haven't yet been able to contribute.  Since I'm an eye doctor, I thought I
might actually be able to make a worthwhile contribution for once!
Yes patients "typically" want a quick fix, a prescription of some sort.
Those are typically the ones on all the HBP & diabetes meds and eating the
SAD.  I try to educate eveyone on the cause of their particular condition
and give options of non drug therapies.
Any time you get a red sore spot on your lid, the best thing to do is hard
boil an egg, wrap it in a damp clean towel and apply to the lid for 10-15
minutes, repeat 3-4 times during the day if possible.  If you can feel a
lump or bump within the lid, massage it firmly with your finger to try to
express it after each hot compress session.  The medical term for a "stye"
is a hordeolum which can become a chalazion.  If totally ignored, sometimes
chalazion become encapsulated, infected and large and can distort your
vision by physical pressure against your eye not to mention them being
downright grotesque looking at this stage. Google chalazion and click on
"images" and you'll see what I mean.  Trust me when I tell you that you
don't want to "do nothing" and hope it goes away.  Once at this stage they
often need steroid injections to attempt to shrink the mass or a surgical
incision to drain it if a course of oral Doxycycline doesn't heal it.  Not a
pleasant experience.  I have not heard of a vit A def. causing them. I'll
have to research that in my literature.  Typically the normal Staph bacteria
lid fluora will over replicate and cause the infection within the meibomian
glands.
Bottom line: Boil yourself a nice paleo egg, this gets your body's own
immune response to the area and will hopefully cure it like a caveman might
have!

Hope this was of some help,
Lisa Wiedeman, OD