Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:29:22 -0800
Actually, our geneticist said PCOS is inherited, and is passed from the
Father to his daughters. In our family's case, it is tied to the red hair
gene. It's a defect  of the  pituitary gland. The pituitary cannot recognize
hormonal signals sent by the hypothalamus, therefore it cannot pass them on
the to the other glands of the body.  It has nothing to do with diet, but is
a genetic disorder.  Not all the women in my family who have PCOS are
overweight, however.  One factor they have found is that those with PCOS are
more likely to be insulin resistant, which causes huge problems with weight,
and later leads to Type II Diabetes.  I definitely think the food choices
made by our ancestors have everything to do with our genetics today.  It's
all about the heavy reliance on grains other easily absorbed carbs that I
think are to blame.

Trish