From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:16:04 -0500
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:21, Mark Wilson wrote:

NOTE: This discussion would be a good way to revive
the Evolutionary Fitness list on this server:

http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS&H=LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

or:

http://tinyurl.com/5t8xtw

>Paleo man didn't SLOWLY lift a fallen rock off his hunting companion,
>or SLOWLY drag a speared elk carcus out of a ravine.
>Quick bursts of powerful energy were much more useful than slow
>plodding movements, which would only serve to get you eaten by
>a fast moving predator.

Correct (but a bit simplistic and Disneyfied in its palaeoanthropology).

>I hoist my weights quickly and agressively (using excellent form),
>and do explosive jump squats, which have done a good job keeping
>me in excellent shape.
>
>Extremely slow may be a good way to build muscle, but I doubt it's
>very paleo, and I completely agree with Olivia, it's extremely boring.
>
>Mark
"Correct form" is also non-palaeo. I have an aversion to "correct form"
whether it applies to exercise or diet. (Don - note, I'm doing my best
keep this on topic :-) All you need to know is Ray Audette's
evolutionary principle that "food is palaeo if you can get it on the African
savanna with a sharp stick" and apply this principle to exercise.

Think of "activity" rather than "exercise" and imagine whether it would
be required to get you out of a sticky situation (thirst, starvation,
predation, attack by other humans, infection, injury, heat, cold) on the
savanna or on the forest edge.

In a sticky situation, "correct form" is thrown out the window. And
the survivors were those who went right up to the point of failure.
If they didn't go to muscle failure, it would have been failure of
another sort for the individual, her/his family or similar.

Keith