Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:17:44 -0400
James,

(regarding my odd weight gain on Paleo)

>>The calorie "formula" makes sense if it were maintenance, but I have been
actually gaining bodyfat.  Previously, I would loose, albeit slowly,  below
2000.  Now to get the weight to drop requires me to be in the 1600 to 1800
range.  My protein/fat ratio is the same as before and I've used the
ketosticks to ensure that I was in ketosis.  There seem to be two real
changes.  First, I've replaced the cheese, butter and cream with olive oil,
more oily fish like salmon, etc.  Second, my metabolism seems to have
slowed down a good 400 calories per day.
As I said, this is weird!

Is it possible you are under-estimating your daily caloric intake?  I've
done that.  When I got into eating pemmican as a snack, I did not correctly
estimate the number of calories it contains.  I'd been eating 4x a day, but
when I put pemmican and cucumber or pemmican and lettuce or celery in for a
snack, I was actually taking in more calories than with a previous
snack..... that and being too free with the fats, made me put on some weight
this past fall.  Its easy to under estimate how much you are eating.  It's
also easy to pack away a lot of calories when fats, oils, nuts, or other
rich things are eaten in sizable amounts or "freely".

Btw: You can be in ketosis but not losing weight and even gaining weight
because you are taking in more calories than you need.  I've heard of this
happening with a lot of people.

Hope that helps,

Rachel