From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:08:28 +0900
Arnette,

I recommend Stephen Jay Gould, particularly his older stuff:  As far as I
know, he was the first to promote the theory of neotony as the main feature
of human evolution, back in the 60's and 70's.  Some of his most popular
books are The Mismeasure of Man, Ever Since Darwin, and I like The
Flamingo's Smile as well.  They all contain excellent essays on his theories
of neotony, as well as punctuated equilibrium--i.e., evolutionary change is
sudden and occurs in an isolated population, and for the remaining existence
of a species, very little changes (i.e. against gradualism).

This is very relevent to people who might think that humans could somehow
evolve to eat grains.  I doubt Gould is paleo, but his theory contradicts it
in no way.

And he is very easy to read and understand.  Sometimes you can catch him
lecture on tour in the US, and he has some stuff on the web, realplayer
interviews and stuff.  As you can see Im a big fan so if you want some hot
links feel free to email me!

Judith

can anyone recommend some sources about neotony, and the encephalization
theory, etc (books, articles, websites) for a layperson to read?
thanks
-A