From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:49:30 MST
It is my humble opinion that the best quality and most economical source for
jerky is one's own homemade in a relatively inexpensive dehydrator that can be
purchased at most department stores.
Quality control and knowledge of ingredients is then assured.
My dehydrator which I purchased 5 years ago for about 60 american dollars has
paid for itself over and over again. They're even less expensive now.
I've made Turkey jerky, Beef, Tuna, Chicken, dried fruit, dried vegetables in
it with ease. I now buy inexpensive cuts of beef which I partially freeze and
slice very thinly using only a little bit of sea salt for seasoning. It has
made excellent jerky and pemmican.
I encourage this route instead of buying readymade which is hugely overpriced
and excessively seasoned.