From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 19:57:33 -0400
yoyo9 <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>> Yes. Here's a summary of the ones with gluten: wheat, rye, barley,
spelt, faro, triticale, kamut, bulgur and possibly oats. Whether oats has
gluten.....

>Don:  How about Buckwheat??

Is it in my list? Then it doesn't have gluten and it happens to not even be
closely related to wheat. For those of us that are exquisitely sensitive to
gluten, there is always the question of contamination. I'd never buy
buckwheat from a bulk bin as scoops move around. Also buckwheat is grown as
a cover crop, and volunteer wheat from prior seasons could pop through, and
wheat may be in a field nearby. I'd only buy it whole, so I could examine
the grains, then make sure there were no foreign ones.

Don.