From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:03:17 -0500
This morning's news headlines screamed dire warnings about certain
antioxidant supplements being purportedly harmful.  Many of you may not
take supplements because they are certainly not paleo -- but others, like
myself, have done so for decades because I live in a polluted area,
exercise vigorously and don't trust much of our soil quality. Whether one
takes supplements or not, the purported benefits of antioxidants in fruits,
veggies has been discussed on this forum.   I generally disregard scare
mongering headlines,and did not find the latest study convincing because of
all the variables not accounted for.  But out of curiousity, I  did do a
little internet research and found an interesting piece from 2004 which
discusses UK researcher Tony Segal's contention that the the entire free
radical theory of disease and aging is based upon flawed assumptions.
Quenching free radicals is why many of us gobble antioxidant rich
veggies/fruits/tea etc and supplement with vitamins etc.  Dr. Segal claims
that doing so may not be such a good idea -- link below.  Thoughts? I
figured this was on-topic given that the overwhelming view is that fruits
and veggies are and important part of a paleoish diet.

http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/research/archives/2004/radical_revisions5970.cfm