From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:17:04 -0700
Hi, Miguel

>So here are my questions:
>1.  Will my traveling make things extra difficult?

Not much worse than finding decent food while travelling usually is. I'm
about to leave for a trip, and since I still haven't gotten the grassfed
beef and made pemmican :-(, I'm going to take an electric skillet, buy
meat each evening, cook it slowly on low, and have "salad from a bag",
which I'll carry in a picnic cooler, with other makings like avocado
and tomatoes. For snacking and emergency rations, I'll carry filberts
and almonds and unsweetened coconut, as well as some fresh fruit, like
kiwis. Canned sardines or salmon can go on the salad, for lunch. I may
have an omelette in a restaurant for breakfast, if I feel like eating
out, but I have to skip the toast.

If you fly instead of drive it may be a little harder, but steak and/or
salad will see you right in restaurants, and you can still carry nuts
and/or unsweetend coconut.

The "traditional" travel ration for the paleolithically inclined, is,
of course, pemmican. Well, I'll start making it soon.

>2.  Is it easier to make the change gradually or to switch cold turkey?

Cold turkey. In fact, cold turkey is very good food. <grin> What may not
work so well is going lowcarb from day 1. It takes enzymes time to adjust.
I tried too much lowcarb, and my energy went phut. So, as you are adjusting,
fruit and nuts may help.

That said, people differ. If you try cold turkey and feel like you are
crashing, try eating paleo foods, but with a dab of something like rice.
Then ease off the rice. That is, go about 90% of the way at once, but
ease off the last 10%. Over time, you can try different ways of eating
within the paleolithic guidelines, and see what suits you.

>3.  Are vitamin supplements necessary?  Is it OK if I take them for peace of
>mind?

I take some. I may eliminate most of them later once my weight normalizes
and I have worked out how to get good cleanly raised meat, and the berry
and currant bushes are in full production. How many and which you may need
depend on what condition you are in, and on how good your food supply is.

>4.  Starchy fruits and vegetables?  Where can I get a more extensive list of
>such things to avoid?  I know about the rule of thumb: If you have to cook
>it for it to taste good, then you should not eat it.  But there are a lot of
>vegetables that I have never tried raw.  For example, zucchini or squash.
>Are they starchy?

Zucchini, okay, summer squash ... well, would you eat it raw? Winter squash
is pretty starchy, and I for one wouldn't enjoy it raw. The main starchy
vegetables are corn, potatoes, peas, lima beans, all dried beans.

>5.  Should I expect any weird side effects?

Depends on what shape you are in and what you may be "addicted" to. For
instance, if you've been using artificial sweeteners like nutrasweet, you'll
need to get over the addiction and may feel very weird for a few days while
it clears your system. But in general, you'll just feel BETTER.

Good luck. Let us now how it goes for you.

Susan Kline