Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:29:23 +0900
Matt Baker wrote:

> Sometimes, I'll get a brief, fleeting whiff of ketones on my breath after my
> morning hill climb or afternoon exercise class,

I have never noticed the ketosis taste or smell, and my wife
has never mentioned it, no matter how long or hard I kept no
carb, or how many miles I ran. I certainly feel different at
very low carb.

   I don't know what's going
> on here.  Neoglucogenesis?  I feel absolutely wonderful--renewed energy,
> spirit, improved exercise tolerance, you name it.  Much better than I ever
> felt when I was in ketosis early last spring, but that was before paleo.

Hey! Don't knock it! That is how I feel in low carb too,
usually. I just love sweet fruit too much to stay there all
the time.

> I'm not losing any scale weight, which was the whole intent of getting into
> ketosis, but I'm lifting heavier weights more regularly and may be building
> muscle.  Some clothes I bought last month are a wee bit looser, but this may
> be due to improved muscle tone.

Name of the game. I have a pair of pants I use to measure
this. When I am eating right they fit nicely, but though my
weight does not change much, I can tell when I am eating too
high carb, I have to unsnap them to wear them.

> It's hard to separate out what the feeling so good is attibutable to.  I
> ditched all the anti-oxidant supplements back in early August after reading
> that they in themselves can cause fatigue by killing off too many free
> radicals.

I wonder about this too. I know I can't take the amount of
vitamins and supplements recommended by most gurus. I start
to feel poorly after a while.

   And it's hard to figure out if I'm in ketosis or not.  By past
> experience with ketosis, which was not very pleasurable, I would say no.
> But by carb level and past experience, I would think yes.  What gives?  Any
> ideas?

My guess is your body is adapting to the diet, becoming more
efficient at controlling your blood sugar in a narrow,
acceptable range. The carbs you eat are being used the way
they are supposed to be. Sounds ideal, except for not losing
weight that you want to. That may be resolving itself more
slowly, if you are building a little more muscle, the fat is
gradually coming off, but the weight is being replaced. That
is how it is supposed to work, anyway.