From:
Ashley Penney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:08:35 -0500
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:55:04 -0600, Ashley Penney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been searching around for a good location to bulk buy meat from
>> near Boston, and while I've found a few places I thought I'd see if
>> anyone has any suggestions.  I was talking to a friend of mine who
>> buys his beef from ranchers direct, and claims to pay about $2 a lb,
>> after processing.
>
> That's pretty good, but is it grass fed?

He said it was 'both', whatever the hell that means!  He also hunts
for deer etc, and said he prefers grass fed, so I assume he was
talking about grass fed beef.

>> Do others on the list bulk purchase meat,
>
> We have been buying our red meat in bulk for many years -- started off
> buying beef from a local farmer, then switched to buying bison from a local
> rancher.  We buy either a half or a whole animal at a time, depending on the
> size of the animal.  We pay about $2.50 a pound based on the hanging weight
> (which is considerably more than the final processed weight -- it probably
> works out to $3.50 or so processed weight, which is still half what it would
> cost in the store).

I guess in the end I'll compile a big list of local farms and call
down the list, speak to some people, see what I can find out.  When
you pay for the processing, do you get to list out the kinds of cuts
you want, or is it more like they send you a couple of big of slabs of
meat and you cut it yourself from there?  Obviously I don't have a
grinder/equipment to handle that, and I assume if you specify various
cuts it drives up the price fast.

>> and does anyone have some good tips on
>> saving money because eating a fruit/vegetable/meat diet can get
>> expensive quickly!
>
> Plant a garden.  And an orchard.  :-)

I wish we could, sadly we rent in Boston which means we're doomed on that score.

> Also, shop at farmers' markets.  The produce there is usually better quality
> and lower price than the supermarket.

I tried a local farmers market to me and the quality was amazing but
the price painful.  I think once we get organised with a good sized
chest freezer I might be able to get some better prices if I talk to
them about bulk.

Thanks,