From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:45:17 -0700
> Wally, heroin tastes good too.  No one here will find it paleo.

Gee, thanks for the knee-jerk, straw-man response to my question. Are you
really equating heroin with chocolate? There are plenty of people who have
tried chocolate, did not enjoy it, and do not eat it. How many heroin
addicts can say the same thing?

My point was not whether chocolate/cocoa is paleo, but why does there have
to be an ulterior motive other than simply enjoying the food?

For example, I do not find myself "craving" chocolate, and I do not
normally seek it out. Rather, I eat when it is given or offered to me. I
then eat it because I enjoy it. It tastes good. It is an enjoyable
experience. I do not go through "withdrawals" when I do not have it (not
like I had when I smoked), so I seriously cannot accept it as an addictive
substance - at least in myself. In fact, I can sincerely say that given a
choice between eating chocolate and licorice, I would likely choose (black)
licorice over chocolate 3 out of 4 times.

The other day I read an article that mentioned avocados. I realized at the
time that I had not eaten one in quite some time. I started thinking about
avocados, obsessing about them really, and how much I would really enjoy
eating one (or two). So, today I went to the store and bought a couple- I
just finished eating them. They were very, very goof. Addictive behavior?
Sounds like it to me. Do avocados have addictive properties? Sounds like
it. Was I missing some substance in my diet that avocados provided?
Perhaps.

I just get frustrated with the tendency within the alternative/natural
foods movement for people to demonize foods. If it does not fit within
their chosen paradigm, it must have *special* properties that "cause" them
to eat it. The forbidden fruit, as it were.

> I should add that I see the preference for chocolate+fat+sugar+milk
> mixes as one of the best illustrations of the
> instincto dietary principle
> that you should eat each food separately

Careful there, Keith. Because, if there's one group within the "Paleo
community" who exhibit addictive behaviors, it is the instinctos.

>It must be processed, diluted and mixed with other
>products of industrial agriculture before it is generally appealing.

According to John K. Williams - one of the field researchers in this area -
we have not been eating "paleo" for longer than most on this list would
surmise. So, unless we are eating a 100% raw hunted and gathered diet, we
are eating foods that have at least "some" processing to make them
palatable/edible. I would suggest, therefore, that - with the exception of
industrial agricultural - many "acceptable" foods fit within the context of
your sentence.