Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:49:32 -0400
Emiliano Bussolo wrote:
> A few hours every two weeks?
>
> How much can you make per batch?
>
> Usually it takes me about 4hours to dry 1\2kg of meat, which results
> in a meager 200gr of pemmican once you added the fat ( - the jerky I
> eat along the process...). That much pemmican usually lasts 3\4 days
> (and I eat it only for breakfast and as a snack).
>
> Maybe my dehydrator is not big enough.
>
> I've read somewhere that you can go on on just 300gr 50% pemmican a
> day, but that would mean working full time to make it...

I make 500 grams powdered jerky, add 900 grams tallow so 1.4 kg
pemmican. Lasts me about at least a week now that I eat a salad before
the one meal/day.
The dryer is an Excalibur 5 tray, set to 35°C, takes  3 days minimum to
make brittle jerky. Rendered 28.6 kg of back fat in early march, it took
2 or 3 days, still have much tallow remaining.
You can make a good (and cheap!) dryer from these instructions:
http://www.traditionaltx.us/recipes.htm
and it tastes better than that from the Excalibur.

William