From:
John D Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:31:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Cordain and fat

On 11/28/2011 5:57 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> Robert Kesterson wrote:
> >> One of the problems with chickens is they are always grain-fed.
> >
> >Maybe at supermarkets, but not necessarily from local farmers.  There
> >are at least two farmers here that sell free-range chicken meat
> >("pastured poultry", as they call it).
>
> Yes, free range, but all supplement with grains. They don't fatten
> enough otherwise.
>
> Don.

>Hmmm...   I checked with one of the farmers, and you're right.  I stand
>corrected.
>   Robert Kesterson

Another interesting tidbit from farm days is ducks you cannot feed them lot
of corn they will develop feet and joint problems and will get very fat
(normally have lot of fat). Chickens if had lot of grains especially corn
their feet will be very bright yellow if mostly bugs and wild feed their
feet/legs will be pale depending on amount of grain/corn in their diet. Pale
legged chickens not getting lot of grains (nearer wild). Yolk of eggs is
affected much same way.
Wild turkey that are away from grain fields are very lean you have add fat
to cook them unless you want very dry meat.
When I was raising horses to show if wanted bright shiny coat put corn oil
in feed all came out in hair and hoofs. Made shiny horse.
These are not scientific facts but just way I lived it.

John