From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:04:13 -0400
Paul Sand wrote:
> Authors stated that going low-carb too quickly can trigger some autoimmune
> response since your immune system starts to work properly while your body
is
> still damaged by previous high carb diet so immune system attack sick
> organs. It makes some sense

I haven't read the book. There are many reasons why you could experience
joint pain when switching to a high protein diet. Three culprits come to
mind, 2 of the 3 having to do with ketosis:

1. high consumption of certain foods such as nuts -- causes many people
problems including joint pain, eczema

2. electrolyte imbalance caused by the diuretic effect of ketosis. You
urinate much more, loosing a lot of the sodium, potassium, calcium and
magnesium that you would otherwise retain. Unless this is replaced, you will
often experience low blood pressure, weakness in limbs, tiredness, etc.

3. Chemicals such as certain hormones (progesterone, estrogen, who knows
what else) are stored in fat. In ketosis, if this body fat is burned for
energy, the hormones and chemicals will be released into the bloodstream.
For menstruating women this can mean a few heavier than normal periods.
Perhaps there are other effects as well -- I don't know all the things are
are stored in body fat but I am sure there are many chemicals that are.

--Richard