From:
Katie Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:04:44 -0500
Hello to ALL!

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Katie. I'm new to the Paleo way. I started this with a lot of difficulty in June 2008. I was falling off the wagon on occasion, but stayed on it long enough to see a nice difference in the way I was feeling. I've always been such a junk food fanatic. I'm not overweight, but I have Arthritis everywhere in my body. I was experiencing a lot of pain, enough to stop me from doing an activity that had become a passion for me. I run dog Agility. I had to give it up for several months due the pain. Funny, my dog's breeder actually suggested that I give Paleo a chance. She started it 16 years ago mainly for weight loss, but discovered many more benefits as a result. It's totally changed her life. With that testimonial, I had to try it, too.

By November 2008 I was feeling SOoooo much better that I got careless. The holidays were upon us. I suppose I thought, "I'm fixed! I can go back to the grains, and sugar that I had given up." HA!!! I was wrong. It wasn't immediate, but the pain was definitely returning, and my mind was fogged over, too. My energy was dropping, etc., etc. I doubt I'll ever be totally pain free, but this way of eating is a big plus in reducing it.

SOoooo, I'm back and decided to find a group, like this one. Sometimes there are questions, and newcomers especially need that occasional "kick in the pants."  I've only been back for just over a week, but feel so much more committed than before. I'm a young 64, and want to keep as active as I can. Besides running Agility courses, I bicycle, work out, and am always on the run. I know Paleo has to become my way of eating for life, if I want to feel my best. I just have to say, "no" to the foods that stand in my way.

I have been eating meats of all sorts. My favorites are chicken, and a good rare steak. I have green veggies, fruits (like berries & melon), nuts, cheese, eggs (actually more Egg Beaters ... that's probably a big no no. Please share your reasons, if you agree with that.)  I do have coffee with real cream in the morning. I know, that's not Paleo either. Perhaps I'll drop some of these things that aren't, in time.

If any of you have good tips to share, I'm all ears. Thanks!!

Sincerely, Katie