From:
Elisa Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 11:30:58 -0600
Modern humans can only mimic a paleo diet and diet alone will not prevent
disease.  To compare ancient man to modern man in terms of health is like
comparing apples and oranges.  As modern age humans we can improve our
health by the foods we chose, use our knowledge to decrease our chances to
succumb to diseases but to think that modern man can return to the health
of ancient man does not make sense.  They did not have the choices we have
now.  For them, it took survival skills to eat and live,  we drive to the
grocery store.

I agree wholeheartedly that modern man has overcivilized himself into a
Captain Crunch world of artificial foods.  We live in an unnatural state of
existence if we compare it to a paleo world.   The closer we live according
to our biology, the healthier we will be.  Yet, I find it so ironic that we
are discussing the quality of packaged meat (that we did not hunt and kill)
and the raw foods (that we did not gather) and we think somehow we have
achieved a kinship to our ancestors!  Diet alone cannot bring us closer to
healthy natural life.  It is only one part of a complete picture.