From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:33:57 +0100
From: Eva Hedin <<Still, taking away the seeds from tomatoes should make
them better whatever size or origin they have.>>

Eva,

Could you please expand on the above statement?... are the seed the most
poisonous part of the tomato?

TIA

Dedy

The theory around grains and rice is that they are seeds and as such they
have strong defendants (antinutrients) against being eaten, that is being
robbed of their nutrients. The lifesaving and reproduction parts of a plant
are the most important ones to protect; that would often be the roots and
always the seeds. Now tomatoes are in fact a fruit even if we have learnt to
think about them as being veggies. A plant has a better position for its
offspring if it has a fruit that some seed spreading animals like to eat.

So yes, the tomatoseeds would be the most poisonous part of the tomato but
as long as we don't chew the seeds or break them up in another way (ketjup?)
they pass through us and come out ready to be a new plant. Besides, I
believe all seeds have high content om omega-6 that all westerners get too
much of. Perhaps not paleo eaters, though.
I'd like to turn the question around. Does anyone know if there are seeds
that don't have phytic acid or lectins? Are there seeds that are safe to
eat?
Isn't it strange that the people who started agriculture started to grow the
worst seeds possible? Like wheat. Why didn't they choose another one that
was less damaging?
Eva