From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:40:46 -0700
At 03:12 PM 3/11/01 -0500, Stacie Tolen wrote:
>Chocolate is from the cocoa bean, which is a legume.

Ah, okay!  Like coffee (and, ironically, initially processed very
similarly, iirc.).  Thanks.  That little tidbit hasn't been on any of the
history of chocolate web sites I've found thus far.  The closest relative I
could find that is a legume was the pea...  Now carob, otoh, is in the
pulse family, according to the encarta encyclopedia entries (same as
pea)...  but cacoa keeps being referred to as a "seed" in these articles!
Now if the britannica site would transfer at a higher speed than about a
byte a minute, I might be able to find out some more :)

Thanks again for the info!

Dianne