From:
Toby Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:32:28 -0700
Lisa Sporleder wrote:
> Does anybody know how much fiber there is in wild berries?  I have *lots* of
> wild raspberries in my yard and they are just beginning to ripen (ate the
> first ones two days ago).  I also have wild blueberries, strawberries,
> cranberries, lingonberries, and rosehips near my cabin.  Several other
> varieties like salmonberries and cloudberries are also potentially available.

As someone who eats a lot of berries, some wild, some from the
supermarket,
I would be surprised if a given wild berry has much more than about 150%
of the
fibre of the supermarket berry.

One reason why you might get quite a bit more fibre with wild berries,
though,
has nothing to do with the fibre content per berry. Rather, a cup of
wild
strawberries will have more fibre than a cup of store-bought
strawberries
simply because they are smaller. Since strawberry seeds are located on
the
outside of the berry, smaller strawberries means a greater surface area
volume ratio, hence more seeds per cup, hence more fibre.

Here are some values for a cup of various kinds of berries. Since I
think
these values are for the cultivated varieties, you could perhaps
multiply
the fibre value by anywhere from 1.0 to 2.0 (IMO).

A cup of:               has x grams of fibre:
blueberries             3.3
blackberries            7.2
rasperries              6.0
strawberries            3.9