From:
John McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:16:58 +1100
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:40:43 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >There's a differenbetween weight training and bodybuilding, which
> >is what the original comment was about.  Bodybuilding involves
> >creating a metabolically expensive physique, for aesthetic
> >reasons.

I dare say it is also genetically determined to some degree how each
individual responds to training. Many people doing similar routines
will develop different levels of strength and also different levels
of muscular development. It is those who put on muscle (and note that
many bodybuilders are strong too, but very few are in the league of
powerlifters)
easily relative to those who experience strength gains without large
mass gains.
A lot of powerlifters/strength athletes are huge, but bodybuilding is
also about super low bodyfat (a condition that is held temporarily for
the contest
offseason bodyfat is higher - though not as high as some of the
superheavyweight powerlifters)

Yes the training does differ, but I think the genetic component
shouldnt be overlooked. A greyhound will never be as strong as a
rottweiler
and the rottweiler will never be as fast as the greyhound - no matter
how you
trained them (assuming you did not deliberately malnourish or injure
them)
Yet both are still dogs. I don't have any data as to the relative degree
of DNA variance between different breeds of dogs, compared to that of
humans
as a species, but the broad theory holds true to some extent.

As for the most suitable training for paleo? really that cant be
answered,
since everybody even within the interpretations of the way of
eating/lifestyle
still has different goals. One could put forward the point that most of
the mainstream
bodybuilding mags are so full of misinformation and alterior motives -
inasmuch as they
are predominantly published and owned by supplement companies and so
serve as a vehicle
to advertise them - that a more strength training based approach will
give
better results for a good majority of people. In strength contests,
there is no
subjective judgements to make - you either lift or you don't. If the
training
program doesn't cut it, you won't get results. looking in the mirror and
saying
I think I look better/bigger is influenced by so many factors so as not
to be
"concrete"

John McKenzie

--
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost