Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:01:46 -0400
My husband got this from an associate.  Can you believe this???  My husbands
comments (to the associate who sent this to him) follow the exerpts from the
newletter we received.

>NUTRITION CONDITIONING GOALS
> Leslie Bonci, M.P.H., R.D. (412)578-3361 or email:[log in to unmask]
>Director- Sports Medicine Nutrition
>University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health System

If its from an R.D. it has to be true!

>>Best choices- post exercise: Lemonade, fruit punch, Kool Aid,HiC,
>>concentrated carbohydrate drinks ( GO, Cytomax, Gatorlode)
>>Not recommended post exercise: regular sports drinks, alcohol

Noteworthy for its absence--WATER!  But of course water is virtually FREE,
the ADA doesn't get any kick backs for advising consumption of water. How
did mankind stay hydrated for 2.5 million years without Kool Aid, HiC, and
Gatorade?

>>BEST WAYS TO REPLACE POTASSIUM AND SODIUM POST EXERCISE:
>>Orange juice and salted pretzels
>>A baked potato with ketchup or salt on it
>>A nectarine and some Chex mix
>>A mix of dried apricots and salted nuts

Well, the last choice looks okay.  But what about fresh fruits alone?  I
don't know of any evidence that one has to deliberately "replace" sodium
after exercise using these extra high sodium foods.  Just having some meat
and a little salt on your next meal will do it.  Chex mix?  These dietitians
sure are into brand names--and maybe if it doesn't have a brand name and
nutrition label on it (fresh meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits) then they
don't know if it has any value.

>>III. CARBOHYDRATE NEEDS
>
>>SOURCES:
>>Bread  Bagels  English muffins Muffins* Pita
>>Tortillas Rice Pasta  Cereals  Crackers* Pretzels
>>Cookies* Potatoes Fruit Fruit Juices Candy*  Popcorn
>>Vegetables Sports Drinks Soda  Chips*  Cereal bars
>>
>>* May be Higher in fat

Almost all of it is refined carbohydrate.  Surprised there aren't any brands
named.  Ugh!

>>GOOD CHOICES:
>>Poptarts  Cereal bar Crackers  Pretzels  Dry cereal
>>Bagels  Graham crackers Fruit punch/drink
>> Chex mix Frozen yogurt   Fruit ice

Ah, Chex mix again...there must be some need to advertize for that company.
And POPTARTS?  Again, refined carbohydrates.

>>IV. PROTEIN NEEDS
>>Body can't use more than 1 gram of protein per pound body weight!
>>Not immediately available as an energy source for exercise
>>Important for recovery AND to boost the immune system
>>
>>SOURCES
>>Chicken  Fish  Beef*      Pork*  Veal
>> Turkey  Eggs  Cheese*  Milk*  Shellfish
>> Soy burgers Dried beans Nuts and nut butters*
>>
>>* Higher fat protein sources

Got to get those soy burgers in there.  Even though most beans have a carb
to protein ratio of 3 to 1, they apparently aren't suitable for carb
replenishment--instead they are protein sources.

>>V. FAT REQUIREMENTS
>>May not be consuming enough

Who may not be consuming enough?  How much is enough?

>>Too much can cause cramps

How much is too much?

>>Not enough can cause you to fatigue more quickly

HOW MUCH???

>> TRY to limit high fat foods before and during exercise

*There is no *try*, only do or not do.*  YODA, in The Empire Strikes Back (I
think).

>> FOODS TO LIMIT BEFORE AND DURING EXERCISE:
>>
>> Chips  French Fries  Pizza  Burgers
>> Ice cream Doughnuts  Chocolate Nuts
>> Nut butters Fried meats  Bologna, salami, pepperoni

Who would eat these during exercise anyway?  Or is that what they mean by
getting a pizza "on the run"?

>>VI. PRE WORKOUT MEALS
>>
>>3 hours before  2-3 hours before  1-2 hours before
>>Pasta           Bagels           Cereal bar
>>Stir-fry       Crackers      Pretzels
>>Sandwiches  Pretzels       Fruit drink
>>Fajitas       Smoothies      Toast
>>Eggs and toast  Cereal and milk  Instant breakfast
>>Chicken, potato and Waffles/pancakes
>> vegetables  Pasta salad
>>Veggie burger

Again, most of it refined carbs.  Assuming that it is best to load up on
carbs before workouts (not at all clear), don't these people know about
sweet potatoes, bananas, dried fruits?

>>VII. EVENING SNACKING
>>Soft pretzels  Cereal  Crackers Popcorn
>>Light tortilla chips Bagels  Cereal bars Trail mix
>>Frozen yogurt  Sports bar ( not low carb type)
>>Pudding  Jell-O  Fruit

Another list of refined carbs.  Pudding, jell-o?  Now there's a way to
increase the nutrient density of your diet.  (sarcasm)

>>VIII. WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS?
>>WEIGHT LOSS (BODY FAT LOSS)
>>Keep a record for a week to see what your eating and drinking pattern looks
>>like
>>Smaller more frequent meals are best for fat loss
>>CALORIE GOALS FOR WEIGHT LOSS- to lose 1 pound of body fat per week: Body
>>weight x 20 = number of calories per day
>>Remember, almost everything has calories, and liquids contain calories
>>Keep some lower calorie foods around:
>>Fruits   Raw vegetables and salsa  Light popcorn
>>Frozen fruit bars  Popsicles   Pudding pops
>>Pretzels   Cereal    Jello/Yogurt
>>
>>Super size meals can be your biggest enemy!

But popsicles, pudding pops, pretzels, cereal, and jello are allies?  On a
low calorie diet it is even more important to eat nutrient dense foods, not
this crap.  And we won't even go into the glycemic index--apparently this
person knows nothing about it....

>>Remember, 2-3  fewer bites per meal can add up to a few hundred calories
>>per day

2-3 bites of what?  Vegetables, fruits?  or pasta?  The latter has a calorie
density about 4 times the former.

>>Watch the fat intake:
>>Choose more                Choose less:
>>Skinless chicken            Fried chicken
>>Baked ham, roast beef   Salami, bologna
>>Mustard                        Mayonnaise
>>Mozzarella cheese          American cheese
>>Skim or 1% milk            Whole milk
>>Pretzels/Light popcorn   Chips
>>Frozen yogurt, Light ice cream  Regular ice cream
>>Turkey bacon or sausage   Regular bacon or sausage
>>Baked or mashed potato   Biggie fries
>>Regular burger    Cheese burger

>>HIGH PROTEIN DIETS WILL LEAVE YOU TOO WEAK TO EXERCISE!

Where, where, where is the evidence for that last statement?  Eskimo diet is
approximately 1/3 protein, 2/3 fat, similar to Atkins.  Eskimos live a hard
life, much physical activity, hunting fishing, etc., and are extremely
strong (compared to average Americans).    The Plains Indians lived almost
entirely on Buffalo meat and fat; they were good at running the buffalo into
ravines, then hauling buffalo out by hand--now there's some high intensity
strength training!  And they did it on a low carb, high protein diet....

You know, ... all of this  b*****t  against high protein/fat diets started
with Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, considered the goudner of modern nutritional
theory. Kellogg was a Seventh Day Adventist (SDA), and
got his dietary beliefs from the Bible and the founder of the Seventh Day
Adventist Church Sister Ellen G. White,  who  advocated a vegetarian diet as
God's Way.    Kellogg advocated a low fat, low protein, high carb diet, and
with his brother W.K. Kellogg developed the first corn flakes cereal and dry
cereal based kibble foods for dogs; his brother founded The Kellogg's
corporation, manufacturer of cold cereals and other grain products.  Eatin
God's Way, John Harvey Kellogg was VERY fat, but he maintained that his diet
would make people slim (????).

Dr. William T. Jarvis, founder and president of the national Council Against
Health Fraud, is a faculty member at the SDA Loma Linda University.  Jarvis
has written an article entitled "Why I am Not a vegetarian", which you can
read at www.acsh.org/publications/priorities/0902/vegetarian.html.  In that
article Jarvis reports:

*The first SDA physician, John Harvey Kellogg (1852D1943), was a vegetarian
zealot.  Alonzo BAker, Ph.D., his former private secretary, told me of an
incident that occurred circa 1939:  Kellogg awakened him in the middle of
>the night and ordered him to board the moring train for Cleveland.  There,
Weston Price, D.D.S., who had just returned from the mysterious high
north, was to give a report on Eskimo dietary habits.  When Baker returned,
he informed Kellogg of Price's finding that Eskimos ate raw meat almost
exclusively (eskimo literally means *raw meat eater*).  Kellogg accused
Price of lying.

*Perhaps Kellogg disbelieved Price partly because it was widely know that
the 1898 ukon gold rushers had suffered extensively from scurvy.  People
generaly believed that Eskimos derived their vitamin C from berries the snow
had preserved.  In fact, Eskimos derived vitamin C from the raw meat of
animals who synthesize ascorbic acid....(when I visited Northwest
>Territories, Canada, in 1973, a Franciscan monk who  raised beautiful
vegetables in a greenhouse in Pelly Bay told me that the Inuits, or North
American Eskimos, didn't like their taste and wouldn't eat them.)*

So you see, all these modern dietitians do is repeat the nutritional
superstitions/religion of John Harvey Kellogg, and of course they go on
giving the Kellogg's the advertising they want.  In Kellogg's day, he had
convinced all "experts" that it was impossible for humans to live without
plant foods.  Vilhajmur Stefansson proved Kellogg and colleagues wrong by
living with the Eskimos for several years, then after returning to the
states he lived supervised for a year eating nothing but meat and fat.  A
team of physicians watched Stefansson closely for three months in a
hospital, then let him lose for the next 9 months of the year.  After a year
of eating nothing but meat and fat, they found him in excellent health, and
as capable of hard work and athletic exertion as any other man (they
performed medical and fitness tests).

>>IX. ADDING MASS
>
>>If you do shakes, consider doubling up- 2 packages to the same amount of
>>milk or juice
>>Try to boost intake at every opportunity
>>Everything has to count-no freebies with food or beverages!
>>Be consistent. You need to do this every day in order to see the gains in
>>mass
>>Don't rely on weight gainers or high protein powders- they will fill you up
>>before you get in all the calories the body needs!

Don't the first and last sentences of the above list contradict one another?
I mean, what kind of shakes is she talking about?   Of course I don't
advocate any of that c**p, but packaged powdered *shake* mixes are
nutritionally practically the same as powdered weight gainers.  Further,
those *weight gainers* are not filling at all, they are primarily sugar with
some protein added.

>>Choose more often            Choose less often
>>Granola type cereal           Flake cereal
>>Chocolate chip                 Vanilla wafers
or peanut butter cookies
>> 2% milk                      Non fat milk
>> Cheeseburger             Plain burger
>> Nuts                          Pretzels

Again load up on carbs.  Chocolate chip cookies?   Now there's a way to add
lean mass, why didn't I think of that?  (sarcasm)

Enough said.

Don