From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:17:37 -0700
Don't let Mr. Stuart put you off :)

My "paleo garden" (I don't plant in rows, but prefer the easier-to-maintain method of tossing plants in containers - wine barrels mostly) generally consists of tomato plants and greens (the mescalun type mixes). I also like to plant various longer term plants like melons, pumpkins, squashes in the rustic landscape around my property, The larger leaves of squashes shade the soil beneath them and probably reduce evaporation a bit - which is hopefully a good thing all around.

I also have a few fruit trees - apple, cherry, pear. In fact, last summer was the first time in several years my pear tree produced fruit. I used to have two pear trees, but one of them died. A neighbor must have planted a pear tree so mine could get pollinated again. Woo-hoo.

(Please, no comments by anyone about the "new worldedness" of tomatoes. It will have no effect on me :).