From:
Molly Kate McGinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 07:34:55 -0700
I am a native born American citizen, currently living in the United States, though I have lived
in other countries from time to time, and I have plenty of negative things to say about my
country. Not least of which is the reflexive notion that criticism of the US by the rest of the
world is some sort of lese majeste.

I'm not the least surprised that a bad mood about americans infects listmembers from other
countries from time to time, and while I appreciate the apology, and a handsome one it was,
for pity's sake don't include ME in the my country right or wrong category. On my very best
days, I have felt for more than 30 years that it is profoundly embarrassing to be an
American, there's just not a lot I can do about it beyond vote my convictions and refuse to
defend the indefensible.

Molly