Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:42:50 -0800
Andrea,

I used to fast intermittently many years ago.  But I've stopped that
practice in favor of eating as "properly" as I can.  Reasons that I
fasted in the past were along the lines of "well, I really need to get
rid of toxins - I'm just too clogged up" and "I just know I'll feel
better if I just stop eating for awhile."  Now I feel that it's wiser to
feed the body more-or-less continually as all bodily functions require
nourishment to be optimal and functioning well.  When I feel any need to
detoxify, I omit all cooked foods and eat sparsely (maybe one small meal
a day) and one type of food at a time, usually.  And I avail myself of
external methods such as a sitz bath, massage, etc.

A friend, whom I highly regard, practices what he terms a "milk fast."
Once a year, he travels to India and, for a month, eats nothing except
cow's milk.  It's not really a fast, just a focus on one food.  For me,
that "fasting" food is usually red meat or fish or sometimes it's just
berries which I focus on for up to a week.  It hasn't failed me yet as a
detox method.

Regards,

-=mark=-