Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:20:20 -0400
R Bartlett asked:
>>Do you know if activated carbon filters remove THMs (trihalomethanes)?
...the family of disinfection by-products associated with colon and
bladder cancer.  Ontario's limit for THMs is 100 ug/l (ppb) and almost all
municipally treated water does comply with this standard, but I'd like filer
them out altogether.
>>I know that leaving an open picture of water for 24 hours of so will allow
them to evaporate completely out of the water.

My reply:
Activated carbon solid block filters ARE CERTIFIED BY NSF to remove
THMs.

That is the only true test we have.

Evaporation will reduce chlorine, but doesn't touch the THMS. Same with
boiling.

Hope this helps,

Rachel Matesz

Rob