From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:08:49 -0500
>I may be biased, but I still prefer the "delight" theory of
>boobage.  That is, I think sexual signaling has more explanatory
>power than keeping milk at the right temp for babies.

I have a theory :) that boobage is indeed designed somehow to resemble
the haunches (i.e. buttocks) which was our original visual stimulus for
mating. This moved this particular signaling 'shape' to an area that
would allow more eye-contact - which seems to become more important as
we evolve - and more necessary as we became increasingly bipedal.

>For one
>thing, I don't think babies care that much what temp their milk
>is.

Yes, they do.  Drinking cold milk will bring the core temp down.  Babies
have really bad internal thermostats until they are about 6 months old.

>Another thing is this: If mothers were spending that much
>time wading in water up to their breasts, where were they
>carrying the babies? Over their heads?

Human babies have a natural swimming ability until they are a couple of
months old (case in point).  If allowed the opportunity and supervision
- they are excellent natural swimmers.  They are also pretty good at
grabbing on - especially to hair.  A healthy human baby clings almost as
well as a chimp baby after a couple of weeks - especially in water.
Holding on in less gravity may be what destroyed their ability to cling
every bit as well as chimps or other primates.  Well - there's the huge
head thing, too. :)  My guess is that they rode in the same style as
other primates, (with the help of less gravity) - floating along,
holding on to hair and arms (and noses and ears judging from my two
personal "monkeys".

The human female body is also pretty well designed for clinging to, as
well, especially after childbirth.  Hair grows faster when pregnant and
doesn't fall out as often.  Hips become wider and more padded for
sitting on.  A belly pouch is formed which is good for a little "shelf"
to sit on when riding up front.

Babies are naturally pretty bouyant. :)

Fawn

Other primates don't need
hooters; they have genitalia that turn bright red when they're in
heat -- always an ice-breaker at a party.

Now if someone has a theory for men's love-handles, I'm
listening.

Todd Moody