From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 18:47:54 -0600
Mary French wrote:

>Welcome Peter!  This  (quoted below) is something I have been thinking about a lot lately as I have been learning about wild foods and foraging.  As I glanced through one of my guideboks, organized by seasons of the year, I notice, the emphasis is spring: greens, summer: berries, fall: nuts and roots.  I have considered adapting my diet a little, to emphasize these foods at the different times of the year.  Does anyone else do this?

I get vegetable shares from the local CSA (community supported
agriculture).  This means that what I
get is what is harvested that week (in the winter what is stored:
cabbage, parsnip, turnip, onion,
potato, etc.).  And it's what grows in the area I live.   I seldom buy
other vegetables; in the winter
I just don't eat lettuce, asparagus, zucchini, etc.  Meat of course is
in season year round.
In the winter I eat apples, pears, and dried fruit (much of it
home-dried),  occasionally a
banana.  In the summer and early fall peaches, plums, apricots, melons,
etc.  Yum!

At the grocery store, it's Perpetual Summer; everything is always in
season (somewhere).  I like eating
according to the seasons: soups in the fall and winter, salads in the
spring.  Recently I've developed a
strong taste for lettuce, so I'm eating salad nearly every day.

Another neat thing about the CSA shares: I use a wider variety of
vegetables than I would ordinarily
buy, and it sends me to my cookbooks to look up new recipes.  (However,
I do feed the parsnips
to the chickens; I haven't found a way to fix them that I like.)

    Lynnet