From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:06:46 -0700
> Ashley Moran wrote:
>
> Incidentally, does anyone have an idea what the starvation point (ie
> minimum number of calories) would for an active 22yo male?  (Or anyone
> for that matter.)  I've always assumed it is around 1500 calories for a
> typical human, but I've got no idea where I pulled that number from.

There are several calorie calculators on the web (Google for "calories per
day") and the values I got for a 5'10" tall 140lb male living a sedentary
life ranged from 2000 - 300 calories. All much higher than I actual need.

Basically your calorie needs are determined by your muscle mass and level of
physical activity.

This link seems to contain some reasonable information:
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/08aug/muscle.htm

For me 1500 calories per day is ok when I don't exercise. But If I start
exercising again, I'll have to up my calorie intake.

The simplest way to manage your calorie intake is to eat slowly and continue
to eat until you're not hungry any more.

The human body has an amazing ability to calculate energy needs, so why not
trust it? As long as the foods you eat don't confuse your body, it should be
able to self regulate just fine.

-Tad